I ate half of a coconut cream pie. I know, not my finest moment. But honestly, how could anyone resist? It’s sweet, creamy, tropical and buttery. So here is my hot take on it: veganized.
This was pretty tough to master. I tried a few recipes to get started, but it just didn’t hit the spot. It would either be overboard on the coconut or just lack of creaminess. I realized I needed to pull in a few substitutes. In this recipe I used margarine instead of butter, a vegan egg substitute instead of egg yolk, and coconut cream instead of heavy cream.
Vegan Coconut Cream PieCourse: DessertDifficulty: Medium
2 cups of vanilla wafers (make sure they are vegan!)
1/2 cup of margarine
1 can of coconut cream
2/3 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of vegan soy egg replacement
1 cup of light coconut milk
- Coconut Whip
2 cups of coconut cream (from a can)
2-3 tablespoons of sugar
1 tsp of vanilla extract
Optional: 1/4 cup of toasted coconut flakes
- Add vanilla wafers and margarine to a food processor. Blend until a wet consistency.
- Add to a 9-inch lightly greased pie dish. Press down, pushing up the sides.
- Chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Add coconut cream, sugar, egg replacement, and light coconut milk to a large pot.
- Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring consistently to avoid scrambling the soy egg.
- Add warm custard to chilled crust and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Coconut Whip
- Add coconut cream, sugar, and vanilla to a large bowl.
- Whip until light and fluffy. Add cream of tartar to thicken additionally.
- Spread evenly across chilled pie. Top with toasted coconut for some extra flair and flavor!